Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mongolian Spots

I would guess that most of our kiddos have mongolian spots somewhere on their bodies. With Braeden starting preschool soon, I wanted to provide his teachers with information about his spots since they can easily be mistaken for bruises.

Brenda, a member of our group and my Mother-in-law, was actually questioned about Madison's spots during a summer camp. The counselor asked Madison what happened and Madison said that her cat did it. When Brenda went to pick-up Madison, the counselor then asked Brenda about the spots. Brenda then explained that it was not the cat, but that they were mongolian spots.

There have been incidents though where the school, camp, etc have called Children's Protective Services before asking the parents about the area of concern. Luckily, nobody in our group has had this happen to them.

I am one who always errs on the side of caution, so here is a copy of what I am sending to Braeden's preschool:

To whom it may concern:

Braeden xxxxxxx who is of Mayan Indian and Hispanic descent has Mongolian spots on his body. The spots on Braeden appear at the base of his spine and down into the buttock area.

Because there have been cases where these spots were mistaken for bruises and action was taken against the parents, I am making you aware of these spots now. His pediatrician is aware of the Mongolian spots and has made note of their location in Braeden’s records. Mogolian spots are simply birthmarks and pose no threat to Braeden.

I have attached some more information about Mongolian spots that I hope you will share with your staff. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thank you,


Kendra xxxxxx


Here is the link to the "additional information" that I am sending them.

Feel free to use any or all of what I wrote!!

No comments: